Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Fabric Flower Hair Clip

Woot!  I'm doing something different!  I'm sure y'all have gotten a little bored reading card tutorial after card tutorial.  Funny thing is, when I started making this flower, I thought I was making it for a card, but nooo, that didn't work out!  I'm quite glad though.  Truth be told, this will look like a card making tutorial until the hair clip comes in.  Hehe, I'm sorry.  I can't help it.

A few years ago, I had an out of state friend come over for a few days, and one of the things we did was make cards.  That is, we planned on making cards. I don't remember if she got any made, but I know I didn't.  Instead I paced around trying to think of a card idea, and finally I came up with the idea to fold a long piece of fabric in half and sew it together at the bottom, and make a rose out of it, and then use it on a card.  I folded the fabric and sewed it together at the bottom, but I wasn't quite sure exactly how to make it into a rose, even though I sort of knew in theory how I was going to do it.  So that long piece of fabric stayed on my chair or on my desk or really, it's probably been many places in the vicinity of my room.

I've been preparing to do a series on using scraps, which has encouraged me to use up some of my scraps.  So, on the spur of the moment, I decided to finally make that rose!  I always thought I would do it on some brown paper, or more likely, thin cardboard, which is sort of brownish.  But I also had this large piece of teal paper lying around (it had only been lying around for less than a week, but still), and it seemed to match the fabric, so I decided to go ahead and use it!
I may not have explained very well when I said I sewed it at the bottom.  Maybe this picture helps?  If it doesn't examine below peektor. 
You can see that the piece of fabric is duper long.  It's probably around 18 inches, but I can't be sure.  I should've measured it before I glued it on.  Which is what I'm doing in this picture.  Or what I did already.  In this picture.
I did not mention it above, but you should use hot glue to adhere the fabric.  It dries much quicker than any other kind of glue, and it will hold it better.
It's really important to have a toothpick to press down the fabric, because you can't do it with your fingers because of the hot glue.  Continue twisting the fabric around while gluing down until you get to the end.
Here it looks like a rose.  Like it's suppose to.
But here...it looks like a cake.  That is not what we're going for.
At this point I didn't know exactly what I was going to do about the cake-lookage, but I decided to cut out the flower anyway.  I used my super fancy super sharp scissors so that I could cut through the glue.
I ended up cutting the top off, so it was shorter and not so cake-like.
I ironed the part that I cut off, so it didn't have the fold in the middle.
...And then made folds and glued on to the edge.  I made sure to glue it on so it sort of went out sideways instead of straight up.  I wouldn't have been able to do that if I hadn't cut it out.  I don't know if it was because of the ironing, or just the kind of fabric, but it stayed when I put creases in with my fingers.
There, that's pretty.
Ah, it looks so much better on the side.
Hot glue a hair clip onto the back.

Look what I done made!

1 comment:

I love comments, so please do comment! The more the merrier! I try to reply to every one. Please remember to be respectful, kind, lovable, and huggable!